Pages

25.6.14

What’s the Word Wednesday #1 | Summer

Hello everyone & happy Wednesday!

I’m starting a new segment here on the blog entitled, “What’s the Word Wednesday” where I pick a word and kind of sort of talk about it… you’ll see what I mean ;)

Today’s Wednesday word of the day is Summer (I thought it was appropriate).
I’m using the word, Summer, to tell you 5 fun facts & share with you my 5 most anticipated books to read this summer.



5 Fun Facts about Summer:
  1.  The first day of Summer (which usually falls between the 21st and 23rd of June) is known as the Summer solstice and is celebrated in many religions.
  2. The first day of summer is usually the longest day of the year with more daylight hours than any other day of the year. This year it was the 21st of June.
  3. The month of July is National Ice Cream month & is also the month where Americans purchase and eat the most ice cream.
  4. You can thank Horace Mann for Summer vacation. He was an educator who helped reform the public school system, encouraging a break to help train teachers between school years.
  5. There are 2 holidays in the Summer months – US Independence Day on the 4th of July & Labor Day on the first Monday of September which falls on September 1st this year. Some people consider Memorial Day to also be a Summer holiday but I’m not sure why since it occurs in May… oh well.

5 Most Anticipated Books of Summer:
(In order of release date)


Better Homes & Hauntings by Molly Harper


 I already read this one and even reviewed it - linked here. I was both anxious and excited to read this one & so happy I did! If you're into ghost stories or spent your early years watching Scooby Doo as I did, you will love this book!

Publication date: June 24, 2014

Lucky Peach Issue # 12

 While this is not a novel - but a magazine - I have been collecting all of the Lucky Peach issues as they are released. This one, in particular, has been calling my name with the promise of food and articles related to sunny skies and food largely consumed in the summer heat.

Publication date: August, 2014


Virgin by Radhika Sanghani

 This book was given to me as an Advanced Copy at RT this year by Erin Galloway who was simply raving about this novel. While it's not my typical read, I have only heard amazing reviews of this one and am looking forward to reading and reviewing it closer to its publication date.

Publication date: August 5, 2014

Blood Games by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)

 After the last CV book was released, I've been dying to see what's next in the world of Merit and Ethan. #hotbooksofsummer

Publication date: August 5, 2014

The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost

 Of course this book comes out closer to the end of summer. What's the problem? Well, thank you for asking. I cannot wait to read this one. Seriously, it mocks me, sitting on my nightstand, knowing that I've sworn off reading it until a week before its publication date. I'm only doing this because it will prevent me from waiting longer for the next book in the series to be released. This - I know - is assuming I will enjoy it and kind of makes me worried because I know I'm hyping it up, myself. But as a 15 year old me used to say so often it became my mantra, "whatever".
I'm a massive fan of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series and I am dying to dive into another one of Frost's worlds.

Publication date: August 26, 2014



Also, let me know which books you're excited to start reading this Summer - SO many good ones coming out that it was not easy for me to narrow it down to these 5.


So, that's it. Hope you enjoyed this post & I'll be seeing you, soon!


&& here is where you can find me on the interwebz:


Until next time-


-Jannelle







    No comments:

    Post a Comment


     photo copyright.jpg
    blogger template by envye