Pages

14.9.14

Vacation Reads | August - September 2014

Hello everyone and happy Sunday!

I'm back from vacation & aside from suffering from some minor jet lag, I couldn't be more excited to get back in to the swing of things. I thought the best way to do this was to get caught up with all of the books I read while I was away so let's get started!

I obviously had time to kill and it kind of shows in the amount of books I read - 8, to be exact - and started 4 others. #dontjudgeme



Name: Reaver (Demonica #10; Lords of Deliverance #5)
Author: Larissa Ione
Publishing Company: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: December 17, 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy


I love this series. 10 books in and Larissa Ione nails it every single time. Reaver was probably my favorite book to date, filled with characters and a storyline that I have come to look forward to and enjoy reading, Reaver's story is the one that I have been looking forward to the longest. Between his memory loss, his dark attraction to Harvester and just the ongoing battle between heaven and hell that he is right in the middle of, I was sucked into this novel and didn't resurface until the last page was turned. And of course, now that I am caught-up with the whole series, I have to wait like the regular people for the release of the next book in the Demonica/Lords of Deliverance series, Revenant.

Do yourself a favor and pick up this series right NOW. :)

Rating (out of 5): 5.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 



Name: The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny #1)
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publishing Company: Harlequin
Publication Date: August 26, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy


I actually gave this book a lengthy review and you can see it on my blog, here.

Rating (out of 5): 4.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 





Name: Reflected In You (Crossfire #2)
Author: Sylvia Day
Publishing Company: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: October 23, 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Erotica, Adult Fiction


Gideon and Eva's love and addiction to each other grow to new and dangerous territories in the second novel of the Crossfire series. Reflected in You made me want to yell and cry and laugh all throughout the novel. I seriously would have punched Gideon Cross in the face if he was in front of me. Or, you know, if he was real. Eva, too. 
The point is, this book made me feel things. It evoked strong emotional reactions in me that are usually reserved for a Paranormal novel. #dontjudgeme I am thoroughly enjoying this series and am wondering where the BDSM is, though. Is there supposed to be any? Was that just someone talking crap? I don't know. Either way, the BDSM is not needed and the love story here is what is keeping drawn here.

Rating (out of 5): 4.5
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 



Name: Entwined with You (Crossfire #3)
Author: Sylvia Day
Publishing Company: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Erotica, Adult Fiction

So maybe I went on a Crossfire binge. Not so spoiler alert? Reflected in You ends on a cliffhanger - a minorly predictable, crazy plot twist cliffhanger. Honestly, I can't talk about this. It's too fresh in my head and I don't want to give spoilers away because all I want to do is talk about it. Also, when the hell does the 4th book come out? UGH. Here is the blurb for the novel so I don't confuse you more than you already are:

From the moment I first met Gideon Cross, I recognized something in him that I needed. Something I couldn't resist. I also saw the dangerous and damaged soul inside--so much like my own. I was drawn to it. I needed him as surely as I needed my heart to beat.
No one knows how much he risked for me. How much I'd been threatened, or just how dark and desperate the shadow of our pasts would become.
Entwined by our secrets, we tried to defy the odds. We made our own rules and surrendered completely to the exquisite power of possession...
Rating (out of 5): 4.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 



Name: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publishing Company: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult, Young Adult, Romance

Sometimes, blurbs are perfect. It doesn't happen often because usually blurbs are placed on the back cover (or inside cover) of novels to deceive you. What? It's true. In this case, the blurb does the book justice. If you dig it, buy it. This is one contemporary novel I adored and would consider rereading in the future.
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
I would get so frustrated with Cath at times that I had to close the novel and let it sit (just for 5 minutes, though) and then return to the reading. I expected to like this novel but I ended up loving it. Definitely recommend.

Rating (out of 5): 5.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 



Name: Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3)
Author: Darynda Jones
Publishing Company: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: January 31, 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy

One of my top series of not just 2014 but of all time. What is it about Charley Davidson? Her sarcasm, maybe. I don't know. But I've been listening to all of these books via audible while either working, driving or cleaning. During vacation, it was while sitting through a long car ride.
Have you read any books in this series? Because you need to. Charley Davidson is what we like to call the Grim Reaper and also a private investigator. She gets into some serious trouble (all the time) both with ghosts and humans of the live variety. And there is also this deliciously sexy and in-love-with-her son of Satan names Reyes who ya know, gets things pretty hot and heavy on the regular.
Just read this series. You'll thank me later.


Rating (out of 5): 4.5
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 




Name: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson #4)
Author: Darynda Jones
Publishing Company: St Martin's Press
Publication Date: October 30, 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy

If you read my "review" of the above novel, then I'm just not going to mention my complete adoration of this series. But just might actually give you a brief overview of this fourth installment of the Charley Davidson series.
In Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet, Charley is just getting over her latest near-death experience and has actually become a recluse and let fear consume her at the beginning of the novel. Thankfully, she has a new case to focus on and forces herself out of her apartment (with the help of a few friends and family members).
Like every other novel in the series, Fourth Grave Dead Ahead promises drama, romance, comedy and paranormal goodness.

Rating (out of 5): 5.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 




Name: Night's Honor (Elder Races #7)
Author: Thea Harrison
Publishing Company: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: September 2, 2014
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy

I have a review coming soon with this one. While it wasn't my favorite novel in the Elder Races series, it was still a great read.
Here's the blurb:
On the run from her former employer, Tess knows that she’s vulnerable on her own amongst the Elder Races. That’s why she decides to audition to become the human attendant of a powerful Vampyre of the Nightkind demesne. But while her position affords her the safety she seeks, her protector turns out to be more than she bargained for.

The right-hand man of the Nightkind King, Xavier del Torro is both terrifying and alluring. While his true nature frightens Tess, she can’t ignore the appeal of his innate sense of integrity and self-restraint. Thrown into Xavier’s world, Tess must quickly learn to navigate the dangers—both to her life and to her heart. But the biggest threat comes from her own past….

I don't think it is necessary to read this one in order to follow along with what is going on with the series but still worth the read. I enjoyed the story line and Xavier is total stud material.

Rating (out of 5): 4.0
Recommend? Yes
Where it can be purchased: Book Depository | Amazon 
Author Online: Website | goodreads | Twitter 



So, that's it! I hope you enjoyed my overview of my vacation reads. 


&& here is where you can find me on the interwebz:
Vampire Book Club: Vampirebookclub.net
Book Depository Affiliate: bookdepository.com


Until next time-


-Jannelle

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye